Filing FAQs

FAQ for Tax Filers

When is the tax day deadline?

  • You have until Wednesday, April 15, 2015 to file your state and federal taxes.

Is it really free?

    • Using, there is NO fee for online state and federal tax preparation as long as your household income is $60,000 or less in 2014.
    • There is no fee for in-person state and federal tax preparation at VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) or TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) sites. In most cases, 2014 income must be below $53,000. To find the nearest VITA site, call 1 (800)-906-9887 (toll-free) or search for the closest location online.

Who qualifies to file online for free?

  • Individuals or families with a household income of $60,000 or less in 2014.

What tax forms do I need to file my federal and state tax returns?

  • For more information on the tax forms you will need to prepare your tax returns, see the Tax Checklist.

Who qualifies to file in-person for free?

  • Individuals or families with household income of $53,000 or less in 2014 are eligible to file for free at in-person Volunteer Income Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites. To find a free tax help center near you, call 1 (800)-906-9887 (toll-free) or search for the closest location online.

What is needed to file in-person for free?

    • A photo ID.
    • Social Security cards for each member of your household

How can I get organized before I file?

  • Use this Tax Checklist to help you get organized to file your state and federal taxes either online or in-person.

How can I get started filing for free today?

  • If you want to prepare your return online, is easy!

    • First, get organized with this handy Tax Checklist.
    • Second, find out if you’re eligible to get certain tax credits and deductions that will let you keep more of your hard earned money.
    • Third, file your taxes online.
    • Fourth, plan ahead with our top 10 ways to save and do more with your tax refund.

    If you want to file your tax return in-person, there are IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers who offer free tax help to households with incomes of $53,000 and below in 2014. To find the nearest VITA site, call 1 (800)-906-9887 (toll-free) or search for the closest location online.

How are 1040X forms for amended returns handled?

  • You can not file an amended return using the software. Form 1040X must be filled out and mailed.

    You can access a copy of Form 1040X along with instructions by visiting here.

I won’t have time to finish my return in one sitting. Can I continue later?

  • Yes you can! You can work on your return whenever and for however long you wish. You can start it today with the paperwork you already have and finish it later.

    Make sure that you remember your username and password, and you can come back to your online tax return anytime by visiting and clicking the FILE NOW button.  Once in the H&R Block software, click the link under the green “Start Filing Now” button that says “Click here to return to filing.”

    Source: H&R Block® and Home Online

What are the minimum system requirements & the supported browser types?

  • Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or 7:

    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
    Netscape 6.x or higher
    Mozilla 1.x or higher

    Mac OS 8-9, or Mac OS X:

    Safari 3.0 or lower
    Netscape 6.x or higher
    Mozilla 1.x or higher

    We also recommend the following screen settings:

    800 x 600 screen resolution (1024 x 768 recommended)
    256 colours minimum (16-bit or higher recommended)
    128-bit encryption
    Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled

    Source: H&R Block® at Home Online

I entered the wrong bank account information, how do I fix it?

  • If your return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS, but you put the wrong bank account information in, you need to call the IRS to fix the issue.

    Call the IRS at 1-866-704-7388

Does the $60,000 requirement apply to jointly filed returns?

  • Yes. If you are filing online and have selected to file a joint return, the $60,000 requirement applies to the combined AGI of you and your spouse.

    If you are filing in-person at a VITA site, the income requirement for you and your spouse is $53,000 or less in 2014.

How do I print a copy of my current year tax return?

  • 1. If you are logged out of your account, click the FILE NOW button to return to the H&R Block software.

    2. Click the Welcome tab at the top of the window to get to the Main Menu screen.

    3. On the Main Menu screen, in the My Account section, click Download/print my 2014 return.

    4. The View Tax Return pop up will appear warning you about the security issues with saving your return to a shared folder on your computer. Click the Continue button.

    5. In the file download window, click Open to view your return.

    6. An Adobe Reader window will appear. Click the Printer Icon menu in the upper left corner (see example below).

    Source: H&R Block® at Home Online

How do I file an extension?

  • You can not file an extension using our software.

    To file an extension, use Form 4868. You can download and print a copy here.

    You must have Adobe Reader installed to view this document. You can download Adobe Reader here.


Can I file tax returns for prior years?

  • No. Unfortunately, MyFreeTaxes does not support prior year tax returns.

Can I split refunds between multiple accounts?

  • Yes, you can split a refund among up to 3 different accounts.

How long should I wait to check for my refund status?

  • Please wait 72 hours after your return has been accepted by the IRS. If you filed on paper, please allow 3 to 4 weeks before checking on the status of your refund. Visit the Where’s My Refund Tool.

How many emails do I receive if my return is rejected?

  • You will receive at least one email.

Can multiple state returns be done?

  • Yes. MyFreeTaxes has the capability to file a return with any state that requires one. In addition, MyFreeTaxes will allow you to file with up to three states.

I received a promotional email from H&R Block® at Home Online, what should I do?

  • If your household income is $60,000 or less in 2014, you are eligible for a free tax return at

Is foreign income allowed?

  • You cannot file your return with MyFreeTaxes if you have foreign income.

    You need to file a Form 1040-NR, which you can access here.  You must have Adobe Reader installed to view this document. Download Adobe Reader here.

Is rental income allowed?

  • Yes – as long as your household adjusted gross income is $60,000 or less in 2014.

If I have more than one state return, is it still free?

  • MyFreeTaxes allows free multiple state returns as long as the household adjusted gross income is $60,000 or less in 2014.

I used MyFreeTaxes last year, should I create a new user ID?

  • You can use the same user ID (email) and password. If you do not remember your password, you may reset it.

    If you would prefer, you can create a new user ID instead, but will need to provide a different email address than you used last year.

Something went wrong and I paid a fee to use MyFreeTaxes. What should I do?

  • If something went wrong and you ended up paying a fee to file with MyFreeTaxes, even though your household adjusted gross income was $60,000 or less in 2014, please contact us here immediately with your username and a description of your problem.

When are refunds issued?

  • Click here to view the IRS refund information guidelines.  You must have Adobe Reader installed to view this document. Download Adobe Reader here.

My refund was rejected by the IRS, what should I do?

  • Returns are rejected for many different reasons and most can be resolved very easily. If your taxes were rejected, you need to know why your return was not accepted. The rejection notice will come with an explanation.

    • If the mistake was an incorrect Social Security Number or ITIN, the wrong birthday, a misspelled name or a missing form, you can correct this and send the return back to the IRS.
    • You may need to file using a paper return if there are other errors (for example, if someone else has included one of your dependents on their tax return).
    • If you have questions about a rejection, you should call the IRS Customer Service number (toll-free) 1 (800) 829-1040.
    • You can find a list of common error reject codes by visiting the IRS online here.

What do I do if I don’t know my PIN?

  • Look-up your PIN online by visiting here, or call the IRS at 1-866-704-7388

What do I do if I can’t remember my password?

  • 1. On the home screen of the H&R Block® at Home Online, click the blue link labeled Unable to access your account found under the password field.

    2. On the Forgot Account Information page select My password and click Next.

    3. Enter your username and click Find My Account.

    4. Answer the security question or enter the Social Security Number and click Submit.

    5. You will receive notification that an e-mail has been sent to you. Check your e-mail for a message from H&R Block. (Note: If the you no longer have access to the e-mail address mentioned on this screen, click the link at the end of the link If you don’t have access to this email, click here.)

    6. Click the link found in the email.

    7. On the New Password screen, enter your Username and your New Password on the screen reached by clicking the link. Click Next.

    8. Click Next on the confirmation screen to log into your account.

    Source: H&R Block® at Home Online

What do I do if my return has been rejected?

  • 1. Log back into the software. Click the FILE NOW button to return to the software.

    2. On the Main Menu, underneath “Check The Status” you will want to click next to the return(s) that have been rejected (either Federal, State, or both).

    3. If you have an error code you will need to go back to that spot in the return and fix the error.

    4. Once you fix the error resubmit your return.

    5. If you are unable to fix the error, please contact our helpline at 1-855-My-Tx-Help or email our support desk at

What do I do after my return is accepted?

  • Congratulations! If you receive email confirmation that your federal and state (where applicable) taxes were accepted, then your filing is completed.  To check on the status of your refund visit the IRS online and use the “Where’s My Refund” tool.

Who do I call for assistance?

  • If you have a question regarding tax information, please contact us at (toll-free) 1-855-My-Tx-Help (1-855-698-9435). We are open Mon-Fri from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM (ET).

    If you have a question related to technical issues, you can call 1-866-HR-BLOCK, ext. 2.  Assistance is available Mon-Sat from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM (EST).

What is the income limit for the 2014 MyFreeTaxes online campaign?

  • The 2014 household income limit is $60,000.

What is the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and how do I qualify?

  • The United States federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC or EIC) is a refundable tax credit that helps working people with limited income. The EITC helps you pay less in payroll taxes. You and anyone else on your tax return (spouse and/or dependents) must have a valid Social Security Number to qualify. The maximum credit ranges from $496 if you don’t have qualifying children up to $6,143 if you have three or more qualifying children.

    Your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) for 2014 must each be less than the following amounts:

    Number of Qualifying Children


    Married Filing Jointly

    3 or more












    Find more information about the EITC.

I made less than $16,000 in 2014. Do I still have to file a tax return?

  • This depends in part on your filing status, age, and gross income. If you’re single, you must file a tax return if your gross income was at least $10,150 ($20,300 if married and filing jointly). Even if you’re not required to file a tax return, there’s little harm in filing, especially if you had income tax withheld from your pay or if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit or the additional child tax credit. Half of the people who don’t file their taxes would have received money back! For more information, see Do I need to file a return.

I lost my job in 2014, and received unemployment insurance. Will that affect my tax return?

  • You must include any unemployment compensation you received as part of your gross income on your tax return. You should receive Form 1099-G with the amount of unemployment compensation you received.

I owe money on my income taxes from last year. Can I still get a tax refund this year?

  • The IRS will most likely automatically apply your refund to any past due amounts. Your refund this year is not a substitute for your payments owed from last year. If you owe any state tax, federal tax, student loans, or child support, your refund may be withheld.

My son is 26, just finished community college, and is living at home with me until he gets a job. Can I still claim him as a dependent?

  • Whether or not you can claim your son as a dependent is complicated and depends on a number of factors. The MyFreeTaxes software will guide you through the dependent rules to help you make the correct choice.

I pay child support. Does that affect my taxes in any way?

  • No, child support payments are not deductible by the payer and they’re not considered taxable income by the parent who receives them. However, if your child lived with you for the greater part of the year and you are the custodial parent, you can generally claim the exemption for the child.

I received an email message saying the IRS needed to confirm my personal information. Could it be a scam?

I bought a home in 2014. Can I claim the homebuyer tax credit?

  • The first-time homebuyer credit is no longer available. Some homebuyers who purchased their first home in 2008, 2009 or 2010 were able to take advantage of the first-time homebuyer credit. However, you can deduct interest paid on your mortgage loan and real estate taxes you paid for your home

What if my question isn’t answered here?

  • If you have a question that isn’t answered in this FAQ, please contact us here. We’re here to help!

    Remember, the deadline to file your state and federal taxes is Wednesday, April 15, 2015.

Why am I being prompted to take a survey?

  • MyFreeTaxes has incorporated a survey document into the tax filing process.  The purpose of the survey is to obtain basic demographic information and opinions of our users.  It is completely voluntary and your identity will be kept private to the extent permitted by law, and only takes a few minutes to complete.

    The information collected from the survey will assist us in expanding research efforts, so we may continue to offer FREE programs and initiatives such as the MyFreeTaxes program.  You can access the MyFreeTaxes Survey here:

    The results from the survey will remain strictly confidential and will be utilized for statistical purposes only.  By providing feedback, you will help and the IRS better serve the taxpaying public. We hope you will consider participating!

What if I make more than $60,000?

  • Thank you for your interest in using MyFreeTaxes. is supported by generous funding from the Walmart Foundation and in partnership with three leading nonprofits. It is designed to help qualified low to moderate income tax filers prepare and file their taxes for free, and to secure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other tax credits and deductions they may qualify for.

    If your adjusted gross income (AGI) was more than $60,000 last year, you are NOT eligible to file your taxes for free on You are welcome to use the H&R Block software for the listed prices available on the H&R Block website (, or to explore other filing options.