Get a Tax Extension

Apply for a 6-month tax extension:

Most people who earned income have until Wednesday, April 15, 2015 to file federal and state income tax forms to get refunds or make a payment to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

If you can’t file your taxes by Wednesday, April 15, 2015 you can get an automatic tax extension by filling out Form 4868.

Important details about tax extensions:

  1. To get a tax extension, you must send Form 4868 to the IRS by April 15, 2015.
  2. After you get an extension, you will need to file your taxes by October 15, 2015.
  3. An extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes you owe. If you owe money, you will have to estimate how much you owe and pay it when you file the form to get an extension. If not, you will have to pay a late payment penalty and interest on any tax not paid until you pay the tax.
  4. If you don’t ask for an extension and you don’t file by Wednesday, April 15, you will have to pay a late filing penalty. You should file your taxes even if you don’t have enough money to pay the tax you owe so that you can avoid additional penalties for not filing your taxes.
  5. Income Taxes for 2013, 2012 and 2011. Many community based tax offices can help you file taxes for the last three years. Find help filing your  federal and state taxes in person for free.
  6. If you’re getting a refund, the earlier you file the sooner you’ll receive your money.
  7. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien who lives and works outside the U.S. or if you’re in the military and serve outside the U.S., you have two extra months to file your taxes and pay the amount due without requesting an extension.

*Remember, the deadline to file your federal and state taxes is Wednesday, April 15, 2015.