Tax Tips for Members of the Military

If you, or someone you know, is a veteran or currently serves in the armed forces, find answers to common questions about special tax benefits and rules for members of the military.

1. My son is serving in a combat zone. Can he get an extension to file and pay his taxes?

Yes. Your son may be able to get an extension of up to 180 days to file and pay his taxes if he is serving in a combat zone. Learn more.

2. Do I have to report my basic pay from active duty to the IRS when I file my taxes?

Yes. You must include your basic pay from active duty when you file your taxes. You must also include any special pay, such as diving duty or aviation incentives.

3. I serve in the Army. Can I exclude my living allowance from my income?

Yes. If you received income as a reimbursement or an allowance for the following, you don’t have to include it in your gross income: living allowances, family allowances, death allowances, moving allowances

4. I receive disability benefits from the VA. Should I include them as part of my income?

No. You don’t have to include disability benefits you receive from the Veteran’s Administration in your gross income.

Find more tax information for veterans and members of the military.

*Remember, the deadline to file your federal and state taxes is Wednesday, April 15, 2015.