W-2 and 1099 Income Tax Statements

Each January, you should receive a form from your employer that includes the amount of money you earned and other tax information. These income statements are also sent to the IRS to report your earnings. You will need any income statements you and your dependents receive to file your taxes.

Below are examples of the two most common income statements: W-2 and 1099 forms.

W-2 Wage Statement: you may receive this document for each job you, your spouse, or your dependents had in 2014. It contains income and tax information needed for your tax return.

W2 Form

1099 Income Statement: you may receive this document if you had unemployment income, contract labor income and/or some gambling winnings.

1099 Form

*Remember, the deadline to file your taxes is Wednesday, April 15, 2015.