Get Started

  • Simply click “Go to H&R Block” from our website and you will be sent to H&R Block’s account creation page to start filing for free. 

  • If you forgot your username or password, or have been locked out of your account from too many attempts- go back to the login screen and click "Forgot My Username/Password". You will need the email address you used for the account, the last five digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) and the answers for your security questions. If you can't remember your identifying information, you will need to create a new account. H&R Block does not store your passwords for your security. 

  • Your federal tax returns are due by Monday, April 15, 2019, unless you file for an extension

  • The IRS will begin accepting 2018 tax returns on Monday, January 28, 2019.

  • Once your account is created, you’ll see a MyFreeTaxes logo on the top-left of your screen. This logo will be on every screen except your account creation page, and ensures you’re filing with MyFreeTaxes and not one of H&R Block’s paid products. 

  • MyFreeTaxes covers tax forms and guidance if you have a simple return, or if you have kids, own a home, have an HSA, are a freelancer/ contractor, have investments, own rentals, are self-employed, or own a business. You can view the full list of supported federal and state forms and schedules.  

  • While MyFreeTaxes is comprehensive and includes most forms for your filing needs, there are a few forms listed below that are not supported. Please note this list is not exhaustive. 

    • 1040NR
    • 1040PR
    • 1041 Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts
    • 1065 U.S. Return of Partnership Income
    • 1120 U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return
    • 1120S Income Tax Return for an S Corp
    • Form 709 Gift Tax Return
    • Clergy Worksheet (pub 517)
    • 1099-LTC Long-Term Care Contracts, Archer MSA
    • Net operating loss carried forward from a year prior to 2018
    • Form 6198 At-Risk Limitations
    • Claiming both the Self-employed Health Insurance Deduction and Premium Tax Credit
    • Form 8938, Statement of Foreign Financial Assets
    • IRAs inherited from someone other than a spouse
    • Form 8962 Part IV Shared Allocation of Policy Amounts
    • Box 15 with Schedule K-1 (Schedule K-1 is included, but if you have something in Box 15 that is not included)
  • If you didn’t file last year’s return, you might have a failure to file and failure to pay on time penalty plus interest if you owed a balance due. If you are due a refund there are no penalties. However, you only have three years from the return due date to file and claim your refund. The MyFreeTaxes software only includes forms for the current filing year. You can access prior year forms and instructions from the IRS.

  • MyFreeTaxes is powered by H&R Block’s premium online tax filing software. From, you will be linked to H&R Block’s account creation page to set up your free e-filing account. Once your account is created, you will see the MyFreeTaxes logo on every page of the filing software. 

  • There are several factors that affect whether or not you will need to file a tax return. These are mainly your age, your gross income as well as your filing status. There are also a few exceptions. See the chart below for more details, or get more information from the IRS here. We still encourage you to file because you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, other tax credits, and a refund for taxes you had withheld from your paychecks. It’s also important to file your taxes for verification purposes if you are applying for FASFA, social security, or any loan applications such as securing a mortgage loan to buy a house.

    Filing Requirements

    If your filing status is…

    AND at the end of 2018 you were…

    THEN file a return if your gross income was at least…


    Under 65



    65 or older


    Head of household

    Under 65



    65 or older


    Married, filing jointly

    Under 65 (both spouses)



    65 or older (one spouse)



    65 or older (both spouses)


    Married, filing separately

    Any age


    Qualifying widow(er)

    Under 65



    65 or older