Most Top-Asked Questions
MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe, and easy way to file your federal and up to three state tax returns for free. United Way partners with H&R Block to provide its H&R Block Online tax filing software to help you easily and accurately file your taxes from your computer or smartphone.
MyFreeTaxes is free for simple returns. United Way is committed to ensuring that you can easily and accurately file your taxes to receive the refunds you deserve. We care about making taxes free and less complicated in a safe and convenient online experience.
Simple tax situations covered in MyFreeTaxes include:
- W-2 income
- Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
- Student education expenses
- Unemployment income
- Student education credits
- Student loan interest
- Claiming the standard deduction
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
- Child tax credits
- Child and dependent care expenses
For a complete list of forms included (or excluded) in MyFreeTaxes, see FAQs below.
MyFreeTaxes uses H&R Block Online tax filing software to help people easily and accurately file their federal and state taxes.
The MyFreeTaxes filing software is powered by H&R Block, which uses the highest industry standards to safeguard your information. United Way does not have access to any of your personal information.
MyFreeTaxes includes the same federal and state forms offered in H&R Block Free Online. Here is the complete list of forms that are included:
- Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return
- Form 1040-SR Individual Income Tax Return for Seniors
- Form 1040 Schedule 1 Additional Income and Adjustments to Income
- Form 1040 Schedule 2 Additional Taxes
- Form 1040 Schedule 3 Additional Credits and Payments
- Form 1040-ES Estimated Tax
- Form 1040-V Payment Voucher
- Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
- Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
- Form 1095-B Health Coverage
- Form 1095-C Employer-provided Health Insurance Coverage
- Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest
- Form 1098-T Tuition Payment
- Form 1099-DIV Dividends and Distributions Income
- Form 1099-G Certain Government Payments
- Form 1099-INT Interest Income
- Form 1099-OID Original Issue Discount
- Form 1099-R Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement, or Profit Sharing
- Form 1099-RRB Railroad Retirement
- Form 1099-SSA Social Security Distributions
- Form 1310 Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer
- Form 2120 Multiple Support Declaration
- Form 2210 Underpayment Penalty
- Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Credit
- Form 4868 Automatic Extension of Time to File
- Form 8332 Release of Claim to Exemption
- Form 8379 Injured Spouse
- Form 8453 Electronic Filing
- Form 8606 Nondeductible IRAs
- Form 8615 Tax for Children Who Have Investment Income of More Than $1,900
- Form 8815 Exclusion of Interest from Series EE Bonds
- Form 8862 Information to Claim Earned Income Credit after Disallowance
- Form 8863 Education Credits
- Form 8888 Direct Deposit to More than One Account
- Form 8958 Allocation of Tax Between Individuals in Community Property States
- Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit
- Form 9465 Installment Agreement Request
- Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement
- Schedule 8812 Additional Child Tax Credit
- Schedule EIC Earned Income Credit
- Schedule R Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
- Worksheet: Clergy
In 2020, MyFreeTaxes users will have the option to purchase H&R Block product upgrades that could provide additional help and service options. Use of these services is completely voluntary. MyFreeTaxes users are not required to purchase any of these services in order to complete their return. The list of additional services and the costs associated with them are below.
Users who are not eligible for MyFreeTaxes because they do not have a simple tax return may purchase an upgraded H&R Block product to complete their return (all fees offered at a 50% discount).
State returns: $19.99 each
Clients can request help with their return from an H&R Block tax expert, enrolled agent or CPA. This service extends expert guidance to clients all along the way and includes:
- On-demand chat – connect to a tax expert when you need it
- Screen share- allows tax expert to see where clients are in the return process
- Unlimited help – use as many times as needed
Basic Online Assist: $49.99
Deluxe Online Assist: $50.00
Premium Online Assist: $70.00
Self-Employed Online Assist: $60.00
Tax Pro Review
Have your tax return reviewed and signed by one of H&R Block’s tax pros.
The H&R Block tax professional will:
Review the return for accuracy and work with the client to make updates or corrections, as needed
- Add any supplementary tax forms needed (e.g. those not supported by the online product)
- Obtain the client's approval of the completed return
- File the return
- Assist with any post-filing issues, such as return rejections or amendments
Basic Online: $49.99
Deluxe Online: $59.99
Tax Identity Shield
This service provides tax identity theft protection and restoration services to safeguard your tax identity and your refund. With the service clients receive:
- Dark Web scans that alert clients if H&R Block finds information on the Black-Market Internet
- Social Security alerts that detect changes to names and addresses associated with client’s SSN to receive credit
- Help applying for IRS fraud protection if H&R Block discovers indicators of identity theft
- Help from a certified restoration agent, who will walk you through the entire restoration process in the event a tax return is filed with your information
Worry Free-Audit Support
The IRS can audit a return filed within the last three years. This service will help you respond to the IRS or State Department of Revenue if you are audited for this year's tax return. Worry Free-Audit Support will provide:
- Audit advice, including detailed information about preparing for an audit
- Help responding to any IRS letter
- In-Person Audit Support
Tax Identity Shield & Worry Free-Audit Support Bundle
Purchase the two services listed above and save $9.99.
United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person, in every community. We give people the financial information and tools to build a solid foundation that improves their lives and the lives of their children. For millions of Americans, tax credits and refunds are essential to their financial stability and success. That’s why United Way teamed up with H&R Block to help people save more of their hard-earned money – and, to date, over a million people have used MyFreeTaxes, bringing over $1.7 billion in refunds back to our local communities. To learn more about other ways you can get smart about your money, visit www.UnitedWay.orgor contact your local United Way.
Since 2009, MyFreeTaxes has helped more than 1.2 million taxpayers claim every credit and deduction they deserve. These credits maximize filers’ refunds and provide important opportunities for individuals and families to build financial stability.
United Way and H&R Block have provided free tax filing services online for federal and state taxes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia since 2009.
MyFreeTaxes was started by United Way and partners to promote free online tax filing when there were limited free online filing options, particularly for low- and moderate-income filers. The site was generously funded by the Walmart Foundation from 2009 to 2015, and promoted in partnership with One Economy, the National Disability Institute and Goodwill Industries International.
In addition to providing its software, H&R Block generously funds the administration and promotion of MyFreeTaxes, which allows United Way to continue to expand the reach of MyFreeTaxes.