Top 5 Most-Asked Questions
  • MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe, and easy way for individuals and households earning less than $66,000 to file their federal and up to three state taxes for free. United Way partners with H&R Block to provide its premium online tax filing software to help you easily and accurately file your taxes from your smartphone or computer.

  • Yes, it’s really free. MyFreeTaxes is the only free, national, online tax filing product offered by a nonprofit. United Way is committed to ensuring that you can easily and accurately file your taxes to receive the refunds you deserve. We care about making taxes free and less complicated in a safe and convenient online experience. MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe and simple way for individuals or households earning less than $66,000 to file federal and up to three state taxes. 

  • MyFreeTaxes is powered by H&R Block’s premium online tax filing software. From, you will be linked to H&R Block’s account creation page to set up your free e-filing account. Once your account is created, you will see the MyFreeTaxes logo on every page of the filing software. 

  • You will need either your email address or mobile number to reset your account here.

  • The IRS discontinued the use of the e-file PIN option. In order to e-file using any tax preparation software, you will need to enter last year’s AGI to verify your identity (unless you didn’t file taxes last year).

    Good news, if you filed using MyFreeTaxes last year, you can access your 2017 tax return when you are logged into your account. Once you are logged in, click on your profile in the top left corner where there will be a link for “Previous Taxes”.

    You can also find your last year’s AGI on your 2017 tax return on: form 1040 (Line 37), 1040A (Line 21), 1040EZ (Line 4), Form 1040X (Line 1, column A).

    If you do not have access to your last year’s tax return you can order a transcript on the IRS Get Transcript site.